Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research - Conservation - Preservation - Education - Public Information - Research - Field Studies - Captive Propagation - Advancing knowledge and understanding of the herpetofauna of the American Southwest

SWCHR DISCUSSION FORUMS

The Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research (SWCHR), a 501(c)(3) non-profit association, now operates in excess of twenty forums, the majority of which focus on herpetological topics as they relate to the herpetofauna of the American Southwest. These forums make up only one segment of the Association's comprehensive web site.

Anyone may access and read the posts made on any of those forums located in SWCHR General Forums section, but YOU MUST BE A SWCHR MEMBER OR A REGISTERED GUEST IN ORDER TO POST OR TO REPLY TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION.

Registered Guests may access and read posts made on forums located in the SWCHR Focus Groups section but YOU MUST BE A SWCHR MEMBER IN ORDER TO POST OR TO REPLY TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION.

ACCESS to the SWCHR Members Only Section IS RESTRICTED TO SWCHR MEMBERS.

Becoming a Registered Guest is FREE and only takes a few moments of your time to accomplish. In order to prevent our forums from becoming platforms for spammers and hackers, all registrations are reviewed and activated by our Forums Administrator. To become a Registered Guest just email your desired user name and password to the Forums Administrator. When your guest registration has been processed (normally within a couple of hours) you will receive a system generated email confirming your registration. YOU MUST PROVIDE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN YOU REGISTER. As a Registered Guest you will have limited access to the SWCHR Forums. We recommend (but do not require) that you use some form of your real name as your User ID. From time to time we do remove the dead wood from our data base. If you sign up as a Registered Guest but then never make a post for 2 years you will likely be deleted from our data base when we do our next housekeeping.

Want to become a SWCHR Member with full and unrestricted access to all of our forums and have other member benefits? Click here for membership information and become a SWCHR Member.

The SWCHR Forums are best viewed utilizing a screen resolution of 1152 x 864 pixels.

Animal Equipment by Stoney LLC
Animal Equipment by Stoney LLC ia a Corporate Gold Sponsor of SWCHR

Attention Texas Herpers - Your Field Data is Needed - Click Here to Learn More!

SerpenTrack - Simply the Best Online Snake Husbandry Tracking. Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Jul 23rd, 2014, 8:48am

Home Help Search Login
SWCHR DISCUSSION FORUMSSWCHR GENERAL FORUMS - GUESTS MAY VIEW THIS SECTION - POSTING REQUIRES FREE REGISTRATION OR SWCHR MEMBERSHIPFIELD HERPING AND FIELD STUDIES FORUM
(Moderator: Todd Hughes/antelope)
Previous topic | Next topic

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A "Transparent" Snake ????? (Read 4448 times)
G. Keown
Forums Administrator
Committee on Common & Scientific Names
SWCHR Mapping Project
Board Member
Communications Committee
SWCHR Life Member
Awards and Grants Committee
Activities & Events Committee

55+ years of herping
the American
Southwest

A "Transparent" Snake ?????
Jan 5th, 2008, 9:52pm

Below is an email that I received requesting assistance in identifying a "snake".  No photo available:

Quote:
I can’t find a picture or any one who can give me any information on a snake I observed in Fields Louisiana which is just across the Sabine River from SE Texas.

This snake’s body was transparent with only its digestive track visible. It was about 16” long and about as round as a pencil. Its eye’s had a slit color tint. Do you have any information on such a snake?  Jack Mossburg

Any of you guys got ANY idea what it was that the guy may have seen?

Thanks.

Gerald

Gerald Keown
Executive Director, Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
SWCHR Forums Administrator
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Todd Hughes/antelope
Forum Moderator

Herping the American
Southwest

Re: A "Transparent" Snake ?????
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2008, 10:30pm

Certainly not enough info to go on, might be a young albino something but no pic or pattern id sure makes it tough.My white wall speck from Tom Stevens was transparent when born and for about a year after I could still see it's digestive tract. I don't think many albinos make it to 16" in the wild, but some obviously do!
 Todd Hughes

Todd M. Hughes
Email View Profile antelope297todd   IP Logged
TobyBrock
Board Member
Communications Committee
SWCHR Member
Membership Committee

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2008, 2:26am

It wouldn't have to live for very long, to make it to 16 inches, if it was a neonate rat snake of some kind.  I have had baby meahllmorum hatch at about 14 - 15 inches, and I imagine Texas rats might occasionally start out big also.  So, maybe an albino corn snake or Texas rat?

The guy's decription says about as round as a pencil, but does he mean as big around a a pencil or actually round.  Worm lizards get to a little over 15 inches, but are restricted to Florida.  Blind snakes are west of that region, and are too small anyway.  A photo would really help.

-Toby

Toby Brock
Email View Profile   IP Logged
G. Keown
Forums Administrator
SWCHR Mapping Project
Board Member
Communications Committee
SWCHR Life Member

55+ years of herping
the American
Southwest

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2008, 8:38am

I'm waiting for more info from the guy.  A photo would indeed be helpful, but I doubt we are going to get one.  If and when I hear back from him, I'll post any new info.

Gerald Keown
G. Keown
Forums Administrator
SWCHR Mapping Project
Board Member
Communications Committee
SWCHR Life Member

55+ years of herping
the American
Southwest

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2008, 6:45pm

Reply to my request  for addditional information regarding this "transparent" snake.
Below is the text of the email I received back from the individual.

Quote:
This snake was in the middle of an over-grown pasture with 1’ grass. It crawled with about 6” of its body and head off the ground. Its eyes had a slight green tint. This snake was not visible at all until my eyes focused on him. The only way I was able to discover that he was there was the movement of the grass. I sure wish I had taken the time to catch him. We may never know the species. I spent much time in the woods in my life.  I built oilfield sites for drilling rigs for 30 years.  

Years ago as I was leaving a site I was building close to the river south of Dibol Texas, loggers that were logging in that area were also leaving. They had a Timber rattler that was 13” long and 8” in dia.. I know this is extremely large, and I restrain from telling this to many people, but would this snake have been a record if it had been recorded? I sure hope you don’t think I’m exaggerating or am a flake by telling you this but I want someone that cares to know what is in these woods.

Jack

Now, I was hanging in there with the guy, until he added that second unrelated paragraph.  Roll Eyes

Gerald

Gerald Keown
TobyBrock
Board Member
Communications Committee
SWCHR Member
Membership Committee

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2008, 10:03pm

I guess the original snake was supposed to be 16' (feet) long as opposed to 16" (inches), since it held its head 6" off the ground.  

Hmm... 13" long timber - no prob, but yeah a 13' timber is up there with Nessie and Big Foot.  I get stories like that from people occasionally, and it does no good to try to talk sense to them. Grin

-Toby

Toby Brock
G. Keown
Forums Administrator
SWCHR Mapping Project
Board Member
Communications Committee
SWCHR Life Member

55+ years of herping
the American
Southwest

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2008, 11:10pm

Yeah and the sad part of it is that some of these people that tell me these things seem to otherwise be fairly intelligent people.

Gerald

Gerald Keown
TobyBrock
Board Member
Communications Committee
SWCHR Member
Membership Committee

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2008, 6:00am

What is even worse is that sometimes the 'media' promotes such ignorance.  I am reminded of Channel 6 (KRIS) reporting, a few years ago, that a boy had been bitten by a 10 foot long cottonmouth!

-Toby

Toby Brock
Todd Hughes/antelope
Forum Moderator

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2008, 3:11pm

Well, I don't want to make anyone feel inferior or anything but to answer his question, yeah, THAT would be a slew of records! Longest venomous in US, longest SNAKE in US, State, county, blah, blah, blah, lol! Anyway, I hope that he will continue to post meaningful data, and we can "help" him understand a few things about herps!
 Todd Hughes

Todd M. Hughes
TobyBrock
Board Member
Communications Committee
SWCHR Member
Membership Committee

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2008, 6:13pm

Point taken  embarrassed , Todd.  Yes, it is always best to try to promote understanding and knowledge than to condemn.  

-Toby

Toby Brock
Todd Hughes/antelope
Forum Moderator

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2008, 8:22pm

no, I hate forum talking sometimes, because you cannot show inflection! Again, I come across too condescending I guess, Toby, I know you and you know me, from now on, assume best intentions on ANYTHING I say, lol! I know you to be truthful and a great teacher, heck, most of what I know about meahllies I learned from you! I just think we all should try and take everything with a grain of salt and be careful of how we say what we say, ME most of all! Sorry for the non-use of the smileys! Cheesy

Todd M. Hughes
TobyBrock
Board Member
Communications Committee
SWCHR Member
Membership Committee

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2008, 8:42pm

Haha!  Hey Todd, I did not get the feeling I was being talked down to at all.  Your post just made me realize the direction I was headed with my posts.  Yes, that is the problem with talking on forums sometimes, and why I usually choose my words very carefully, because people do get their feathers (er.. uh.. scales) ruffled because of really minor things.  Also, I have become fairly thick-skinned, so I'm not easily injured online.  Don't forget those smileys! Cool

Toby Brock
reptoman
Registered Guest

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:24pm

Well here we go, but just at the end of this year, up in Leaky a friend was hiking back into the rock studded side of a mountain area near his property and he found a water hole or a water pond on rock and he said it was about 18" deep and 3 ft or so round and covered with plants and grass all around, anyway his eye caught the sight of something odd, and he described exactly to the tee this smae Snake thing?  15" to 16" long a little fatter than a pencil and looked like a huge worm snake and you could see that it was indeed somewhat transparent, he tried to pick it up with a stick thinking that it was something dead that had been in the little pond, and it began wiggling.  He is not a herper but he says he's seen every lizard and snake in the area and has never seen anything like this. he just left it there.  I wonder if this is synonymous with the other sighting or ?  I want to go up this spring, but to get there I had to drive my Toyota highlander up a volcanic creek bed on its side and darn near tipped over and so its a little scary ordeal, they live on the side of a mountain back about 5 miles off the highway.  Its very rough country.  Anyone have an idea other than some sort of Florida type blind snake?  because thats where I would go with it if it is indeed legitimate, but as soon as I read this sighting above I thought I better throw this into the mix....  The description was uncanny in that it was described almost exactly the same???

reptoman
Registered Guest

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2008, 8:23am

Gerald did you see my last post on transparent snake?  This was observed in Leaky Texas, and the gentlemen that described this to me is very interested in nature and while not a snake or lizard man he did find this up on the side of a mountain in Leaky. Any guess snake, lizard, insect or what ever this might have been?  I am going up their this spring and he is taking me back into the mountain where this observation occured.

Ryan Shofner
Registered Guest

Herping the American
Southwest

Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2008, 4:14pm

2 sightings in 2 sepperate places, with 2 different witnesses...  thats interesting.  you never know though.  it took 100 years to verify a reported population of canyon tree frogs in SE Colorado, and there are Collared Lizard range expansions popping up everywhere right now, so I guess everything is possible.  I mean, Collared Lizards are big and very easy to spot, and If we're still adding to their range, a transparent snake the width of a pencil seems like a better candidate to escape detection.

Email View Profile lizardman1988   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

SWCHR DISCUSSION FORUMS » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.

| Home | The American Southwest Defined | Snakes of the American Southwest | Lizards of the American Southwest |
| Turtles of the American Southwest | Crocodilians of the American Southwest | Amphibians of the American Southwest |
| SWCHR Discussion Forums | Join SWCHR Today | Photo of the Month Awards | SWCHR Position Papers |
| Awards for Photographic Excellence | Herpetological Papers & Articles | Protected Species | Herpetological Dictionary |
| Southwestern U.S. Regional Weather | Herpetological Bookstore | Southwestern Herp Events | Herpetological Links |
| SWCHR Bulletin - Back Issues | SWCHR News & Announcements | A Call & Papers & Photos | Credits & Acknowledgements | | SWCHR Monthly Giving Program | SWCHR Corporate Sponsorship | Webmasters - Link to SWCHR | Contact Us |
| Hans F. Koenig Memorial Fund
|

Advancing knowledge and understanding of the herpetofauna of the American Southwest

© 2007 - 2014 Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research

Animal Equipment by Stoney All photographic images and articles used on this site are used with permission of the respective photographer or author and are protected by copyright. The unauthorized use of these images and articles is prohibited without written consent of the individual photographer or author.